Salads can get a little boring sometimes so to pump up some interest I like to buy new veggies and toppers put into them. My favorite lettuce is butter lettuce. I love the silky, tender leaves, that magically hold salad dressing.
Remember, the best salads have many tastes and textures to them. Crunchy, cool, salty, sweet or sour and bitter adds interest while you are eating.
- 1 head of butter lettuce- torn
- 1 small bunch of Swiss chard- stems removed
- 1/2 an English cucumber -diced
- 2-3 Watermelon Radish -thinly sliced
- 1 14 oz can of Hearts of Palm– sliced
- 2 TBS of sunflower seeds
- 2 scallions- sliced
- 1/2 cup of croutons*
Delish Tip: This is a SUPER basic vinaigrette but it goes great on salads and I actually sauté it with green beans as a Warm salad too!!
Hearts of Palm taste a little like marinated artichokes. They have a pleasant mouthfeel to me.
Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe
- 1 small shallot diced
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 2 TBS of Balsamic Vinegar
- 6 TBS of olive oil
- S&P to taste