What to with all the fresh zucchini in your garden or at the farmers market? This easy kid-friendly meal will chase away the what’s for dinner summer blues.., and is a healthy use for your abundance of squash.
Here’s what you’ll need for these delish Stuffed Zucchini Boats
First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees
9×13 Baking Pan
Melon Baller- or small spoon to scoop out zucchini
Delish Tip: I like to chop up some of the insides and add it to the ground turkey
- One pound of ground turkey (85% lean, or lean beef or shredded cooked chicken)
- One cup of diced onion
- One tablespoon of garlic
- One teaspoon smoked paprika
- One teaspoon of cumin seed
- One teaspoon of salt and pepper
- One teaspoon of chili powder
- 8 oz of shredded cheese like Colby jack
- 6-7 small zucchini cut in half
- Chopped Green onions and fresh cilantro for garnish
Brown the turkey in a tablespoon of oil. Drain if oily. If it’s just juice/broth don’t bother.
Add spices and onion, cook for a few more minutes, and then set aside
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder – or fresh
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs- like oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth – low sodium
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar – any kind
Heat the oil, sauté, or “bloom” the flour and spices. Cook for about a minute.
Stir it in the tomato paste and then pour in the broth and whisk it all together
Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until mixture thickens
Adjust seasoning if you think you need to
STUFF THE BOATS
Place a scoop full of sauce on the bottom of the pan and spread around.
Line up your zucchinis -Delish Tip: I sometimes find it easier to alternate them stem to tail to fit easier.
Stuff the boats with meat mixture.
Spoon a bit of sauce over each boat and top with cheese
Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minute
Take off the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes until bubbly and cheese is a little brown.
Stick a knife through zucchini and make sure it pierces easily
Garnish with green onions and cilantro￼